Monday, March 3, 2008

The Start of a New Week

Happy Monday to you, Happy Monday to you, Let's hope this week is better than last week, Happy Monday to you!!

I'm trying to be an optimist. We've had one of the most trying weeks ever last week, and it all peaked this weekend. I just don't know what is going on with my little monster. This type of behaviour is very unusual for Boobah and I don't kow how to handle him and this change. Let me give you a breakdown of a typical weekend:

Saturday:
6:00 am - The Dad wakes up for work
6:02 am - Boobah wakes up
6:02:30 am - I have to wake up because Boobah's awake because The Dad makes so much noise getting ready
6:05 am - Boobah and I wade through toys and pillows and blankets to find a spot on the lounge floor so I can watch Great Expectations - Boobah happens to love the show too
6:06 - 7:00 am - In ad-breaks, I shove, sorry gently put a more interesting toy in Boobah's reach, then make a mad dash to the kitchen to either make coffee/put in a load of washing/make Boobah cereal/get Boobah a yoghurt or go outside to have a smoke and get back just in time to hear Sam say "Welcome back..."
7:00 - 8:00 am - Now it's time for one of Boobah's favoritest shows of all time (the other being 7de laan), Coolcatz. He loves them. I'm a bad mom, I know. I let my babyperson watch TV. But you know what, sometimes it just has to happen. And at least Coolcatz is educational. --That's my story and I'm sticking to it!--
8:00 - 10:30 am - In this time slot we normally go hang the washing. I put Boobah in his walker and off we waddle to the wash-lines. After hanging up, we waddle back towards our door in the block of flats, right past it around the corner to the front door / lobby area. Here we play for a lttle bit, and then eventually I convince him it's time to go home. Once there, we bath, get dressed, maybe have a morning nap and then pack nap-over bags for the weekly Nannie-Nap-Over-Saturday.
10:45 am - Drop Boobah off at Nannie, and then YAY! I've got time for myself.

Now, on this past saturday do you think anything went according to our *normal* routine? "Of course not, Mom" says Boobah with a glint in his little blue eye. "Let's have some fun and do stuff different today..."

Past Saturday:
5:27 am - Boobah wakes up
5:28 am - Mom elbows The Dad
5:28 am - The Dad kicks mom out the bed with a "It's you turn"
5:28 am - Mom gets up and gets Boobah
5:30 am - There's nothing to watch on TV, let's jump in the Jolly Jumper a bit.
5:34 am - Mom's made cereal
5:35 am - First tantrum of the day ensues
5:50 am - The Dad get's up, grabs Boobah and Mom goes for a smoke..FINALLY
6:00 am - The Dad gets ready for work and off he goes, leaving Mom with a very upset Boobah
6:05 am - First load of washing goes in
6:10 am - Oh nuts, we missed the first bit of Great Expectations
6:10 - 7:00 am - A whole lot of crying, laughing, screaming, giggling, wailing and not a lot of watching TV happens
7:00 am - We go hang our first load of washing with Boobah in walker. That done, we go through the normal routine of lobby first, and then home
7:20 am - Tenth tantrum of the day - THAT'S IT!! I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!
7:30 am - We stop at the Nannies' house. I couldn't take it anymore. I made him her problem


I odn't know what went wrong. This whole scenario happened after we were awake every hour on the hour on friday night. This from my child who only wakes up once for a feed, and then not even completely. This from my child who has never in his life cried for no reason at all. I am not used to having a naughty child. And believe me, he was naughty.

It seems so mundane saying it now, but honestly, you had to be there to experience my frustration.

It feels as if I'm doing something wrong as a mother. As if I can't make my child happy. He doesn't show this same behaviour with his grammas. Only me.

Why?????

5 comments:

ExMi said...

they show off for their grandparents.

i want to get a jolly jumper. are they good? how soon before i can get one? The Kid is nearly 4 months old...

Boobah's Mom said...

they are wonderfully fantastic - without you having to feel like a terrible mom. great excercise for the leggys and apparently, contrary to the popular belief of no excitement before bedtime, it actually helps them sleep... the rocking motion lulls them or something.

i would get one as soon as The Kid can hold his head up nicely by himself. once his little neck is strong enough, hey ho let him bounce away!

ExMi said...

does he need to be able to sit up by himself?

Boobah's Mom said...

I think if he has some head control, then now would be a good time to test. A lot of manufacturers' suggest an age range between 3 - 36 months.

Why don't you get one now, and put The Kid in to see. If he can't jump then he won't, and you'll have a good idea of how much longer to wait if you have to.

AngelConradie said...

boobah was having coolcatz withdrawal!!!
i wish damien still behaved for his grandparents...