Thursday, March 13, 2008

I have some planning to do! – CRY FOR HELP!!!

Right, I have some serious planning to do. In less than TWO months, my Boobah will turn ONE! His first birthday is coming up, and I have to/want to/will throw the party of the year. As is in my Leo nature, I am extravagant. I like doing things over the top and I absolutely love to WOW people. If someone in the family does something, I have to do it better. If someone in the family got something for one of their kids, I will have to get the same, just better.


 

I don't say this out loud though. I just do it. And since this is how it's always been, they just assume that I have a lot more money to spend. And sometimes I do, but mostly I don't. What's a little debt here and there anyway?


 

Back to the point: I am going to organise a party for Boobah for his very first birthday. I have already decided on a theme, although that wasn't a very tough decision to make. We are going Cars. With Lightning McQueen and Radiator Springs and Mack and Sarge. This was helped along when I came across this absolutely gorgeous cake on Angels' nephew Nathan's photo page. I want it! I want it!


 

So that gives us a theme and a cake. For the venue, I think somewhere like the Bokkie Park, in Boksburg would be a good idea. It's neutral ground to start with (seeing as the families don't always see eye-to-eye), the kiddies can run around and play, and if they spill a drink or drop some cake, who cares? They're outside, they're getting fresh air and they get to see real live animals! What could be cooler than that?

I was thinking, for decorations, I could get one of those themed Party-In-A-Box deals, they have a nice Cars one. Actually, they have two, as they got in new stock recently. So that helps decoration-wise. I'll also get some balloons and maybe a couple of old tyres I'm sure my dad would have lying in the garage somewhere.

Now we've got theme, venue, cake and decorations. Here's where I'm getting stuck a bit:

I NEED HELP WITH PARTY FOOD!!

I haven't been to a kiddies party in yonks, (besides one in January and the food wasn't age appropriate either) so I haven't the faintest idea of what to do. I remember a little of what we had as small kiddies, like Boudoir finger biscuit cars, and Marie Biscuit Smiley faces, but beyond that my memory is failing me. As is my imagination. Thus, any mommies with older babies, or any one with a great imagination, please help me give Boobah a great party.


 

Also, any other ideas and suggestions for the party would also be welcomed with big open arms. And I promise to post pictures of this ginormous event in Boobah's life as soon as it happens!

11 comments:

Sweets said...

i'm more into older boys parties at the moment... but what i can remember of those parties is, loads of balloons (they love that), maybe a little present (like a little car) in the goody-box... that's all i can think of... enjoy!!!

Boobah's Mom said...

Thanks!

I've thought of buying those cute little Cars lunchboxes they sell at PnP to make the party packs in.

They're small enough to not take too much sweets and stuff, but big enough so little hands can hold them comfortably. There's only gonna be about 9 little ones, maybe 10 if I can convince Exmi to come also (although she doesn't know yet, and also, we've not really officially met yet - but we live really close to each other - and maybe this will be a nice outing for her and The Kid, seeing as she's feeling so down in the dumps lately)

Kerryn said...

Hello!
Just a few words of advise. Stay away from sweets that need to be unwrapped, and suckers (the running with suckers in their mouths!!)

Cheese Curls!! Lots and lots of cheese curls! Kids love anything that can be grabbed by the handful and scoffed (they are just little pigs deep down inside!)

Boobah's Mom said...

that's good advice!

the kids will be between 1 x 6 months (if The Kid is going to be there), 1 x 1 year old an dthe rest are between 14 months and 2.5 years. And most of them can run around!

And cheese curls and flings ust so happen to be my favorite chippies too. oh, and monster bites or something like that...

Zoeyjane said...

if you want some food-food, can i suggest shopping around for some cars-inspired cookie cutters and then using them to make cars-shaped sandwiches? kids really dig stuff in shapes.

another idea is calzones. just plain cheese and tomato ones, cut into kiddo-manageable strips.

another toddler party suggestion is anything like mini cupcakes or muffins.

AngelConradie said...

ooh, i love zoeyjane's car shaped cookies and sandwiches!
and kerryn's suggestions are also real good...
hey, we had the cars party box thingy for nathan's party- but we found a "cheap" one at game, heh heh, and the car cake... as cute as themed cakes can be, they are usually a bit of a waste as the kidlets seldom eat cake!
i love the tyres for decor- and balloons always go down well... and cheap toy cars in the party packs also always go down well- just make sure they're all identical to avoid arguments between the kidlets, LOL!

Restless Ink said...

string cheese...you know that come in little packets? I went to a party where they offered those and I thought it was a great idea.

boxes of Animal Crackers are also great.

oh - I did boxes of raisins - "nature's candy" ya know -

Good luck!

Boobah's Mom said...

I couldn't have worder angls comment better myself. I agree totally with what she said!

The car-shape sandwiches sound great, I'll definitely give that a try.

Angel - I hear what you're saying bout the cake, although I suppose that'll be more for me and pictures later than anything else.

Restless - Thanks, I think it would be good to have melrose cheesies, maybe combine that with zoeyjanes' car-shape inspired toasties. But i think the raisins I'll give a skip as the kiddies are all little people and I don't want to possible provide a chiking hazard. That will defintely be a good idea for a later party!

acidicice said...

One thing that I also loved as a kid was the chico-the-clown inspired 'windmill', you know, the one where you put the cones upside down on a marie biscuit and then use wafers to make the turning thingies and a smartie...man, I don't know if I'm making any sense here, but SOMEONE must remember those!

Boobah's Mom said...

Aicd - I do remember them! They were fantastic. And to make them more fabulous, you used to get little sweeties in the cone bit as surprise... Oh, and there were variations: Making a clown by putting a marshmallow ontop of the cone instead of using wafers for windmillwings.

Another thing I just remembered: Caramel rice-krispie cones. Mix caramel from a tin with rice crispies till a nice sticky mixture, and then put scoops/balls of that onto a cone like an icecream...

Those were the days!

Unknown said...

We just did a cars birthday for my son's 3rd birthday!
Decorations were basically what you said, we added in a pinata. I did find these giant cars "decal" type of things at party city that you temporarily attach to your wall. They were pretty cool!

As for food, we did mainly finger foods....homemade chicken nuggets, pizza, pigs in a blanket, etc.

The kids played with racetracks, too. We have one or two of those remote controlled car racetracks that they LOVED!